Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SmileBASIC 4 release date announced — Learn programming the fun way!
A new programming app is coming to the Nintendo Switch on 23 April, 2020 for $24.99/£19.99. If you've ever wanted to try programming before, then this is definitely for you! The official website can be found at https://www.petc4.smilebasic.com/?lang=en

SmileBASIC 4 uses a version of the BASIC programming language, called SmileBASIC, which allows you to create programs and is specifically catered towards those who want to create their own games. Once you've finished your game, you can upload and share it with the world, or if you'd like some inspiration, then try downloading someone else's game. You could learn a thing or two.

If you're never done programming before, then don't worry! — Tutorials and sample games are included to make learning SmileBASIC as easy as possible. SmileBASIC supports using a USB Keyboard and Mouse to make programming trouble-free as well as many sample assets so you can jump right into creating a game. Keep experimenting with the samples provided and you'll surely become a whiz at programming.

-- Features --
Code:
• Make full use of the Switch's features including motion sensors, infrared sensors, HD rumble, Pro Controller and even the Toy-Cons!
• Built-in Sprites, Music, Games,
• A fully featured Sprite Editor, Map and Graphics Editor to make your own assets
• Make full use of the Nintendo Switch's screen at 720p Docked/Undocked
• *Share your creations with the world and download others'
• 10x faster than the previous version (SmileBASIC 3)
• Easy for beginners to pick up on

-- FAQ --

*Are there any limitations to downloading and uploading?
Yes. Projects can only be downloaded every 8 hours when you have no tickets. Tickets cost $5 each and add 10 upload slots each and give you unlimited downloads as long as you have at least 1

Are the skills learnt in SmileBASIC applicable anywhere else?
SmileBASIC was meant to be usable by everyone, whether you're a novice or a beginner, and as such, it incorporates features from both modern programming languages and more limited ones from long ago. Everything from string indexing to Switch and Case statements are here, so you'll feel right at home. If you're a beginner, then that means what you learn also applies to "real world" programming languages like C++, Java and Python.

isn't this too much advertising?
To answer that, I'm going to need to give you a bit of history: Back in 2015, I noticed an app on the Nintendo eShop called "Petit Computer", which promised to make game creation easy, and I decided to give it a try. Although it wasn't very user friendly, I managed to get better through online tutorials and downloading others' programs (through QR Codes). A few years later, 'SmileBASIC' was announced for the Nintendo 3DS by the same developers and I knew I had to get this too. This time around, it actually came with an instruction manual and I soon found myself getting better at making a game (or part of one). I downloaded about 70 different projects and games created by other people and I realised how much fun programming really is. Later on I tried different programming languages and actually managed to adapt to them pretty quickly. SmileBASIC really means a lot to me, without it I don't think I would've ever gotten this far into programming, and I'd like others to also be able to comfortably learn programming too.

Now it's your turn to learn, with SmileBASIC 4  :)